Mission Implausible: How realistic are Hollywood’s best stunts?
Our interactive guide analyses the most epic scenes from 12 different blockbusters to determine whether or not they could happen in real life.
Have you ever wondered what your chances would be of successfully pulling off some of your favourite movie stunts?
Sometimes, when it comes to things like surviving a nuclear explosion by hiding in a fridge or completely swapping faces with someone, the odds can be as tricky to work out as playing online casino games. Until now.!
Mission Implausible dissects far-fetched events from 12 different blockbusters with the help of industry experts, including a pilot, stunt woman, plastic surgeon and ex-army officer, to determine which are really feasible and which Die Hard.
Is it really possible for an amputee to jump from a crane into a burning skyscraper? Or for a superspy to kitesurf to safety following an avalanche?
Find out in our interactive guide below...
The films included are:
- Skyscraper (2018)
- Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018)
- Mechanic: Resurrection (2016)
- Fast & Furious 7 (2015)
- Saw VII (2010)
- Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008)
- Live Free or Die Hard (2007)
- Transporter 2 (2005)
- Bad Boys 2 (2003)
- Kill Bill Vol 1 (2003)
- Die Another Day (2002)
- Face/Off (1997)
The extensive guide also includes information about how each scene was filmed, to explain how the use of prosthetics, green screen or CGI made the implausible events seem like reality on screen.
Did you know?
- Ethan Hunt should have died several times during a helicopter scene in Mission Impossible: Fallout.
- Indiana Jones should have been catapulted into space in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.
- The Rock’s daring leap between two buildings with a prosthetic leg in Skyscraper might actually be possible.
- Bad Boys II protagonists Lowrey and Burnett would have been blown to smithereens by nearby landmines before they could even take a shot at the villains, or at least suffered major shrapnel damage.
- Dominic Toretto and Brian O’Conner could technically have driven their Lykan Hypersport across two skyscrapers in Fast & Furious 7, but only if a series of unlikely events occurred.