Click the video above to watch our documentary on Jon Heywood
Jon Heywood had one eye on his online slots game, Mega Moolah, but most of his attention was on the documentary about World War II tanks he had stumbled across.
“Next thing I know, there’s a big wheel spinning,” he says. “I thought: ‘Brilliant, I’ve won 10 grand here.’ But no. Oh, good God, no.”
No indeed. Jon – then a British soldier – had actually won £13,213,838.68.
Yes, you read that right: thirteen million, two hundred and thirteen thousand, eight hundred and thirty eight pounds and sixty eight pence. He had only opened his Betway Casino account 25 minutes earlier.
Jon’s win – was subsequently certified by Guinness World Records as the “largest jackpot pay-out in an online slot machine game” – was in October 2015, and it’s fair to say his life has changed dramatically since then.
Our documentary tells the story of his win, and reveals what the overnight millionaire has done with his fortune.
Highlights from the video include:
– “What the hell is going on?!” Jon relives the moment he realised he’d won £13.2m, just 25 minutes after becoming a Betway customer.
– “He didn’t seem as excited as a normal winner would be!” Alan Alger, Betway’s Head of PR, explains how the jackpot was won and how the Guinness World Records got involved.
– “At the end of the day, money can’t buy a new heart and lung.” Jon and his mother Carol discuss how he has been able to help his dad Douglas.
– “We always had this pact that if we won some money, we’d help each other out.” But just how much did Jon gift to his friend Michael? (Spoiler: it’s more than you think.)
– “For me to comprehend having all that money, I had to work for it.” Jon explains why it was never an option for him stop working But what job does he do now?
– “I must admit, I do still find it strange when I see him lying under a bath.” Jon’s colleague Glyn discusses what it’s like working alongside a multimillionaire.
– “Do you think I’ve become pretentious?” Carol reveals what Jon’s biggest luxury is.
– “That’s the biggest thing I’m looking forward to.” Jon reveals what’s next for him and family.