Chelsea 2-4 Bradford City, 2015


As FA Cup shocks go, they don’t come any bigger or more dramatic than this one.

Forty-nine places separated the two sides going into the match, while Chelsea were protecting an unbeaten home record in all competitions.

It all started in relatively pedestrian fashion, with first-half goals from Gary Cahill and Ramires putting the Premier League leaders two up after little more than half an hour.

That was, of course, until a free-kick – swung in by one-time Chelsea apprentice Filipe Morais – was recycled to Jon Stead, who slammed home at the near post.

Game on.

The second half followed a similar pattern to how the first ended, with the Bantams probing for an equaliser.

In the 75th minute, it came via Morais, and six minutes later Andy Halliday put Phil Parkinson’s side ahead for the first time. Cue rapturous scenes in the Stamford Bridge away end.

What happened next, though, was beyond belief.

Slick passing between Mark Yeates and Stead had the Chelsea defence in disarray, before the latter expertly played the former in to slot past Petr Cech for a fourth.

Chelsea, as Jose Mourinho put it, “disgraced.” Bradford, delighted.

Manchester City 0-2 Middlesbrough, 2015


It couldn’t happen twice in one day, could it?

Well, yes.

On the same afternoon that Stamford Bridge was rocked, the Etihad Stadium also played host to an upset.

Manchester City did not name a second string against Middlesbrough, either, with Sergio Aguero, David Silva and Vincent Kompany among those starting.

As the match rumbled on, with the home side struggling to make a breakthrough, the unthinkable happened.

Albert Adomah’s persistence in the 53rd minute forced Kompany into a short backpass and, after the resultant pinball, Chelsea loanee Patrick Bamford was on hand to slide the ball over the line.

‘Boro weren’t done there, though.

With City threatening an equaliser, up popped Kike in the 94th minute.

At the exact time Mark Yeates was netting Bradford’s fourth, the Spaniard fired past a helpless Willy Caballero to send the Premier League champions out.

Liverpool 5-2 Havant & Waterlooville, 2008


Not many teams silence the Anfield Kop, let alone those from the Conference South.

Havant & Waterlooville were backed by 6,000 fans – 5,257 more than their average attendance that season – in fine voice, hoping against all expectation that they would see a shock.

And eight minutes in, they went ahead.

Dominican international Richard Pacquette nodded in from a corner, sending fans of the Conference South side beserk.

And when Alfie Potter’s deflected effort restored the minnows’ lead – after Lucas had equalised – the biggest FA Cup-shock of all-time looked on.

While the 122-place difference eventually told, with Liverpool netting four unanswered goals, the Hawks could leave Merseyside – and the competition – with memories to last a lifetime.

Brentford 2-1 Sunderland, 2006


DJ Campbell certainly knows how to make an impression.

Just six months after joining Brentford from Yeading for a fee of £5,000, he produced two moments of magic to dump Premier League-strugglers Sunderland out of the cup.

The Black Cats came into the match without a league win away from home, and their fragile confidence was evident as they went behind.

Campbell sprinted past the lumbering Gary Breen and easily rounded Kelvin Davis before slotting into the empty net.

The second goal, meanwhile, was equally brilliant, and a lot more dramatic.

With two minutes to go, and the tie looking set for a replay at 1-1, the then-24-year-old latched onto a knock-down from Lloyd Owusu before easily beating Neill Collins and finishing expertly.

£5,000 well spent, then.

Oldham 3-2 Liverpool, 2013


Boundary Park – the second-highest ground above sea level in the Football League – is not particularly alluring at the best of times.

And Oldham’s 13,500-seater was even less attractive for Liverpool’s players in this topsy-turvy FA Cup-classic.

Just as Campbell had been for Brentford, Matt Smith – formerly of Solihull Moors and Droylsden – became Oldham’s hero with a brace against a strong Reds side.

The 6ft 6in target man originally put the Latics ahead in the third minute, before Luis Suarez squeezed an equaliser past goalkeeper Dean Bouzanis.

Not to be outdone, Paul Dickov’s side responded with two unanswered goals and – although Joe Allen’s deflected strike set up a nervy finish – the Manchester-side were not to be caught.