Football Football
Horse Racing Horse Racing
Cricket Cricket
Basketball Basketball
Golf Golf

FA Cup classics: 5 memorable fifth-round ties that stick in the memory

16 Feb | BY Betway | MIN READ TIME |
FA Cup classics: 5 memorable fifth-round ties that stick in the memory

A battle at Goodison Park and a ding-dong Manchester derby are among our favourites from the last 16...

Everton 4-4 Liverpool, 1991

A cracker of a Merseyside derby that, as Barry Davies said in commentary, will “be remembered as long as the FA Cup is played”.

Liverpool and Everton had drawn 0-0 three days earlier at Anfield and no-one could have anticipated the topsy-turvy game that was about to unfold.

Starting with a Peter Beardsley strike after 32 minutes, each of Liverpool’s four goals put them ahead, but they were pegged back every time.

By the time Tony Cottee made it 4-4 in extra time – smashing the ball through Bruce Grobelaar’s legs – the noise at Goodison Park was deafening.

Liverpool fans were left stunned just two days after as Kenny Dalglish quit as Reds’ manager, and they lost the second replay 1-0.

Southampton 2-6 Tottenham, 1995

Another rollercoaster replay here, with Tottenham emphatically turning their fifth-round tie with Southampton around at the Dell.

It didn’t start well for Spurs, with goals from Neil Shipperley and Matt Le Tissier giving Southampton a comfortable half-time lead.

That was until Ronny Rosenthal had his say.

The Israeli international came on after the break and single-handedly levelled the match after little more than 10 minutes.

Rosenthal completed his hat-trick in extra time, slamming past Grobelaar from 30 yards to put Spurs ahead for the first time in the match.

Extras were added by Teddy Sheringham, Nick Barmby and Darren Anderton to seal a thrashing for Gerry Francis’ side.

Spare a thought for goalkeeper Grobelaar, though – he must hate this round of the FA Cup.

Manchester United 4-2 Manchester City, 2004

Who doesn’t love a rough-and-tumble Manchester derby?

Gary Neville certainly does.

Having seen his side go 1-0 up through Paul Scholes, United captain Neville was in a hostile mood.

Furious at not being awarded a penalty after a Michael Tarnat tackle, Neville aimed a headbutt towards Steve McManaman.

An on-pitch melee followed, along with a red card for the right back.

The man advantage did not help Kevin Keegan’s side, though, and the Red Devils ran riot.

Ruud van Nistelrooy doubled the advantage on 70 minutes, before Cristiano Ronaldo added a third three minutes later.

Tarnat did reply with just under a quarter of an hour to go, only for Van Nistelrooy to restore the advantage almost immediately.

And while Robbie Fowler added a late consolation, City’s 30-year wait for a win at Old Trafford was to continue.

Wimbledon 2-2 Wycombe (Wycombe won 8-7 on penalties), 2001

A match that had just about everything.

League One Wycombe were managed by former Crazy Gang hero Lawrie Sanchez and had already earned a credible 2-2 draw at home to Wimbledon.

So that the Chairboys managed to hold out for another draw against Championship opposition here was impressive.

The visitors were forced to play the final 31 minutes, plus extra time, with 10 men, too, after Michael Simpson was sent off after receiving a second booking for a shoulder barge on then-Don Gareth Ainsworth.

But the drama really peaked in the third minute of injury time, as Wycombe’s Martin Taylor saved Neil Ardley’s penalty – after Paul McCarthy had handled inside the box.

And after Wayne Gray put the Dons ahead early on in extra time, McCarthy popped up with a last-minute equaliser to force penalties.

With the score at 8-7, after 19 spot kicks had been taken, the hosts’ Mark Williams blazed his over the bar.

Manchester United 1-0 Crawley Town, 2011

This meeting of the Red Devils can offer encouragement to both Sutton United and Lincoln City.

Backed by 9,000 fans, then-National League side Crawley Town came within the width of a crossbar of earning a draw at Old Trafford.

It would not have been unjust, either.

A below-strength Manchester United side – which included Bebe, Gabriel Obertan and Darron Gibson – underestimated their non-league opponents, after taking the lead through a 19th-minute Wes Brown header.

Despite Sir Alex Ferguson introducing Wayne Rooney at half time, it was the non-league side that had the best chances in the second period.

Matt Tubbs put a bicycle kick over the top and Richard Brodie headed against the crossbar in the final minute.

The final whistle marked proud scenes in the away end, while midfielder Sergio Torres snuck a blade of Old Trafford grass in his sock as a keepsake.

Don’t expect Danny Welbeck to do the same at Gander Green Lane this weekend, it’s an artificial surface.